Step Down Program
A Program For Long-Term Success
Our Step Down program is usually a transition from residential care, moving from carefully monitored progress to fully independent freedom. The program focuses primarily on practice, with an emphasis on acquiring the life skills needed for successful long-term recovery. Clients build on the skills and healthy eating habits learned in the residential experience, trying them out in circumstances more closely resembling real life. There is greater autonomy and more personal responsibility, yet there’s also plenty of support, guidance and community.
We understand that every new phase in a client’s recovery entails unique challenges, so this program is custom-tailored for each individual. Stepdown clients will develop a balanced lifestyle in a variety of areas: appropriate nutrition, work, school or volunteer activities; supportive relationships; recreational activities and self-care. The more opportunity to practice these life skills in the Stepdown phase, the greater the odds for a sustained recovery.
During Stepdown, a meal and exercise plan is developed for the individual client by the nutritionist. Clients frequently say our dietitians and nutritionists are the best they’ve ever worked with. We consider this a supreme compliment and a major reason for our high rates of success.
Each Client receives:
- Free Housing in our Step Down House or Apartments.
- Three individual sessions per week with the primary therapist.
- A weekly session with his or her nutritionist, who eats meals with clients.
- A weekly session with our psychiatrist.
- A small, well-chosen therapeutic community.
- 6 hours of group therapy per day.
- Levels of care that allow for increasing autonomy with continuing support.
- Adjunctive individual sessions as needed for anxiety/OCD work, life skill development, body image work, or other specialized adjunctive work.
- Individualized biweekly treatment plan.
- 1-2 staff supported meals and post meal processing Daily, as determined by the client’s individualized treatment plan.
- Family Therapy and participation in our Family Week.
In This Section
- Castlewood Eating Disorder Treatment Center
- Eating Disorder Interventions: How to Intervene with a Loved One
- Outpatient Eating Disorder Treatment at Castlewood
- Research and Assessment Department
- Stabilization Program
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
- Family Week & Eating Disorder Family Support
- Step Down Program
- Day Treatment
- Residential Eating Disorder Treatment: A Supportive, Caring Community
- Our Locations