Residential Eating Disorder Treatment: A Supportive, Caring Community
Castlewood Treatment Centers has three residential treatment facilities, each with its own clinical staff, unique look and therapeutic community. Click below for more information on each of our locations in St. Louis and Monterey.
Our therapy is centered around building a consistent, individual relationship with the primary therapist, psychiatrist and nutritionist.
A key to our program is working with a qualified nutritionist, who has a solid background in eating disorders. Many of our dietitians are in recovery and understand the process as only someone who has been through the recovery process really can.
Residential Eating Disorder Treatment at Castlewood
Castlewood provides evidence-based and innovative residential eating disorder treatment approaches. We believe that eating disorders are disorders of attachment, and that clients turn to food, alcohol, cutting, and other behaviors for comfort, and to cope. By understanding and treating the underlying issues, eating disorder recovery is more likely to be sustained long-term.
Residential treatment is a more advanced level of care that provides a higher intensity of monitoring and frequency of treatment. Clients live at Castlewood, and receive an individualized care plan designed for their unique combination of needs. Staff are available on-site 24 hours a day to provide monitoring and support for our residential clients. We provide care to both men and women, ages 16 and up.
Our eating disorder residential treatment facilities are modern, beautiful, and comfortable. All areas are designed to provide the most beneficial therapeutic environment. We also want our clients to feel at home, since residential treatment can last for several weeks. Wooded and grassy areas surround Castlewood, with many serene spaces to enjoy.
Therapy Components of Our Eating Disorder Residential Treatment Program
Each client’s individualized care plan includes both individual and group therapy and education sessions. Individualized care plans are managed by a personal therapist and dietitian, with each client receiving additional therapy from other professional clinicians. Residential eating disorder treatment provides the time and focus to begin effective recovery.
Each client receives:
- Six individual sessions weekly: Four with the primary therapist, one with the primary dietitian and one with our staff psychiatrist.
- A small, well-chosen therapeutic community, so that peer support is intimate and effective, and therapeutic contact attentive and meaningful
- Levels of care that allow for increasing autonomy with continuing support
- Excellent aftercare programming, including follow-up visits offered at Castlewood
- Adjunctive individual sessions for anxiety/OCD exposure and response prevention work or adjunctive sessions for chemical dependency or other sessions as needed.
- Individualized weekly treatment plan
- Daily monitored weight and vital sign
- Three staff-supported meals and post-meal processing
- Staff-supported meals and post-meal processing
- Staff-supported snacks as appropriate to the individualized meal plan
- Weekend outings to support new skills
- Family therapy
- Experiential Family Week
Castlewood maintains a high staff-to-patient ratio providing for greater individualized care. Many of our clients have had treatment at other eating disorder residential treatment facilities without success, and have found recovery at Castlewood.
Castlewood allows the following in limited quantities, and under close supervision:
- Artificial sweetener
- Personal computers/WiFi Access
Castlewood prohibits the following:
- Diet supplements and weight loss supplements
- Diet pills, laxatives, and diuretics
- Exercise videos
- Personal stashes of food or candy (all food is kept in locked cabinets in the kitchen)
Please click on the following links for downloadable packing lists & sample treatment schedules, and information about our other residential eating disorder treatment centers.
Castlewood has three residential treatment facilities, each with its own dedicated staff and all under the direction and leadership of our experienced clinical directors. Click below for more information on each center.
Castlewood I- St. Louis, Missouri
Castlewood II- St. Louis, Missouri
Monarch Cove- Monterey, California