Research and Assessment Department
Castlewood Treatment Center and Affiliates is dedicated to providing evidence-based treatment that meets or exceeds practice guidelines for the treatment of eating disorders and related conditions. This includes assessment-based treatment planning and the utilization of outcomes research.
Castlewood’s Research and Assessment Department is Responsible for:
- Ensuring clients complete psychological assessments upon admission and discharge to determine the presence and severity of eating disorder symptoms and symptoms of co-occurring conditions. The results of these assessments are shared with clients and are integrated into treatment planning as measures of progress.
- Conducting outcomes research to evaluate the effectiveness of treatment at Castlewood and Affiliates and implementing programmatic improvements when indicated.
- Partnering with other institutions to evaluate the effectiveness of specific interventions in the treatment of eating disorders, developing best practices, and disseminating those results via conferences, journal articles and books.
Some of the inventories we ask clients to complete upon admission include:
- Background Questionnaire (Designed by Castlewood’s Research Committee)
- State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) which helps measure two major types of anxiety
- Beck Depression Inventory-2 that helps measure symptoms/thoughts related to major depression
- Eating Disorder Quality of Life Scale (EDQLS) which provides a condition specific measure of quality of life in adults and adolescents with eating disorders
- Eating Disorder Examination Questionnaire-6 (EDE-Q) which allows trained clinician to assess the psychopathology associated with the diagnosis of an eating disorder.
- Eating Disorder Inventory-3 provides additional information related to the EDE-Q.
- Social Interaction Anxiety Scale helps assess the symptoms of social anxiety in clients
- Trauma Symptom Inventory-2 (TSI2) which evaluates posttraumatic stress and other psychological sequelae of traumatic events
These assessments were professionally developed and nationally field tested, and have shown reliability in obtaining important information on clients.
In addition to the assessments administered upon admission, designated staff members have clients complete the same assessments (with the exception of the Background Questionnaire) at six weeks and twelve weeks post-admission, if applicable. Also, clients complete the inventories upon discharge. Finally, we ask clients to complete the Eating Disorder Examination Questionnaire-6 at three intervals post-discharge: three months, six months and twelve months.
Castlewood Treatment Center and Affiliates is a member of the Residential Eating Disorder Consortium (REDC), which is a professional association of residential eating disorder treatment centers developed to increase access to care. Castlewood is participating in REDC’s nationwide research study on the effectiveness of residential eating disorder treatment programs in reducing eating disorder and other psychological symptoms.
Castlewood’s Research and Assessment Department Staff:
Nicole Siegfried, PhD, CEDS, Director of Research Clinical Director of The Highlands (read more about Nicole here)
Vanessa Curran, M.A., Research Coordinator (read more about Vanessa here)
Heidi Strickler PhD, LCSW, CEDS, CART, CTLS, Administrative Director & Primary Therapist at EDCMO (read more about Heidi here)
Ashley Blackwell, B.A., Admission & Discharge Coordinator at the Highlands (read more about Ashley here)
Katya Kuska, MSW, Admission & Discharge Coordinator & Group Therapist at Monarch Cove (read more about Katya here)
Christina Johnston, Direct Care at Monarch Cove
Alexandra Solaro, B.A., Research Assistant & Direct Care Counselor at Castlewood
In This Section
- Castlewood Eating Disorder Treatment Center
- Eating Disorder Interventions: How to Intervene with a Loved One
- Outpatient Eating Disorder Treatment at Castlewood
- Research and Assessment Department
- Stabilization Program
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
- Family Week & Eating Disorder Family Support
- Step Down Program
- Day Treatment
- Residential Eating Disorder Treatment: A Supportive, Caring Community
- Our Locations