Weight Stigma Awareness Week: RecommitThursday's theme for Weight Stigma Awareness Week is Recommit. BEDA is encouraging each of us to recommit to taking care of ourselves and our bodies, recommit to ending fat talk, and to challenge weight stigma. One of the most difficult things in life to do is make time for self-care. We all get so busy with our lives, with taking care of our jobs, families, friends, and responsibilities that we forget about self-care. This can cause us to feel exhausted, frustrated, and even make us resent those responsibilities. I know that in my life when I make self-care a priority I feel centered, and better able to take care of my responsibilities. Below are a few examples of self-care that I find helpful! Self-Care-
- Take a nice leisurely walk
- Get a pedicure
- Take a drive (without any one else in the car) and jam out to some awesome music!
- Positive self- talk and affirmations
- Taking a yoga or mindful movement class- reconnecting to my body
- Make a date with a good friend to talk- even if it is just over skype!
- Go out to dinner or a movie with good friends
- If you have kids, do something FUN with them- go to the zoo, park, aquarium. Seeing the world through the eyes of a child can be very re-energizing!